A student does not need special insurance when flying with an instructor. However, EFI requires that all renters and students must show proof of renters insurance prior to solo flight. You must have liability coverage and a minimum of $40,000 in physical damage coverage. We recommend Avemco Insurance Agency for purchasing affordable Renters insurance.